Uwezo Tanzania is looking forward to recruit a dynamic, proactive, curious, vibrant, honest, confident and experienced individual for an Accountant position. The successful applicant shall be based in Dar es Salaam.
Who we are?
Uwezo Tanzania is a registered independent NGO under NGO Act No. 24 of 2002 with registration number 00NGO/R/09001. Uwezo’s main function has been to generate data and curate evidence on actual literacy and numeracy competency levels among children aged 6-16 years in a manner that informs the public, stimulates countrywide debate, and creates pressure for policy change from the bottom-up. Uwezo has also used the assessment evidence to experiment and conduct innovative interventions that demonstrate what works to improve learning outcomes especially on literacy and numeracy skill.
Where are we located?
We are at 85k Suites, Kinondoni Rd, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, for more information visit our website, www.uwezotanzania.or.tz
Accountant -Job description
- Ensure that all payments are accurately supported, approved and coded, and paid in a timely manner as per the payment workflow with the reasons for delays in payments clearly explained in approved system e.g. Xero.
- Ensure proper preparation of monthly payroll journal for the organization and proper filing.
- In the absence of any of the accounts assistant, form back up for capturing transactions in approved financial management system e.g. Xero.
- Ensure monthly and quarterly financial reports are well prepared in a timely manner with a desired quality.
- Ensure monthly bank reconciliations for all Uwezo accounts are done, charges by bank are consistent with the agreed bank charges and overdue items in bank reconciliations are dealt with in timely manner as per the financial and administrative manual.
- Maintain donor commitment tables and ensure timely submission of donor reports as per donor requirements.
- Ensure proper documentation; and filling of both physical and electronic financial documents including ensuring easy retrieval of document and proper arrangement of documents to ensure proper follow-ability.
- Contribute to developing realistic budgets that are corresponding to the organization plan.
- Prepare semi-annually and annual financial statements for Uwezo in accordance with general accepted accounting principles in Tanzania and internationally recognized financial reporting practices (IFRS).
- Maintain imprest accounts for all staff and follow up immediate retirements, in case of non-compliance remind and guide staff on the retirement policy.
- Manage petty cash in line with financial regulations and procedures.
- Manage credit card retirements in line with financial regulations and procedures. Support oversight and reconciliations of assets.
- Assist to provide guidance to staff on financial policies and responding to any queries directed to finance unit.
- Preparation for and collaborate with auditors to ensure proper financial records and statements Perform all above responsibilities in Sales Force where applicable.
- Support in Administration matters as guided by the Executive Director.
- Successfully implement all required responsibilities and assigned activities in work plans and budgets, consistent with Uwezo policies.
- Contribute effectively to planning, monitoring, and reporting and information dissemination of Uwezo’s work.
- Support fundraising initiatives in the organization whenever required
- Collaborate with Uwezo staff across units and countries in a spirit of mutual respect and cooperation to get things done.
- Communicate your work through active use of internal platform (Sales Force), electronic calendar (Gcal) and being accessible on electronic chat (Skype) as per Uwezo requirements.
- Participate actively in organization-wide learning and other joint activities.
- Comply with and foster adherence to the established Uwezo values, policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures.
- Undertake any other lawful tasks as may be assigned by your Supervisor, or Executive Director.
Key Qualifications for the Job being advertised:
- Holder of Certified Public Accountant (CPA -T) certificate or equivalent preferred,
- At least five years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent administrative, planning and budgeting skills.
- Experience of using accounting packages, as well as MS Office.
- Impeccable, corruption free reputation and integrity.
- Ability to keep deadlines and keen attention to details.
- Experience in NGO accounts/financial management.
- Good English and Swahili speaking and writing skills.
- Skills and experience in fund raising is an added advantage.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Uwezo Tanzania is an equal opportunity organization, therefore, any candidate with relevant competency is highly encouraged to apply. Competent females are mostly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Kindly send your application Letter and Curriculum Vitae through email@example.com ; with the subject of your email indicating the position you are applying for.
Deadline for Application:
The deadline for application for this position is 12th January, 2022. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.